Fees & Billing for Therapy and Assessment
Fees to See a Psychologist in Halifax
How much does therapy or assessment cost?
- At present, the recommended therapy fee for private practice Psychologists in Nova Scotia is $210 per clinical hour. This fee is set by the Association of Psychologists of Nova Scotia.
- The fee for therapy with a Registered Counselling Therapist is $200 per session.
- The fee for therapy with a Clinical Social Worker is $190 per session.
- The fee for couples counselling is $220 per clinical hour.
- Our assessments for Child ADHD, Adult ADHD, Learning Disorders, Dyslexia, IQ, Academics, Autism / ASD, and Giftedness are charged at $220 per hour. We provide a customized estimate for every assessment prior to beginning and will not exceed this estimate. When testing takes less time that anticipated, the final fee may be lower than the estimate.
Are you a university or college student?
Tip 1: Most universities in Halifax (including Dalhousie University, Saint Mary's University, and Mount Saint Vincent University) offer 100% coverage for students to see private practice psychologists, social workers, registered counselling therapists at Green Leaf!
Check out the links above, review your university health plan, or consult your student association for more details.
Tip 2: For international students, we also support the Student VIP insurance program through Blue Cross. Currently, the Student VIP plan covers up to $10,000 at 100% for psychologists at our clinic!
Tip 3: Many universities also have bursaries for students who cannot afford an ADHD or Learning Disability assessment without assistance.
What other fees do you charge?
We do not charge any additional fees (e.g., credit card processing fees).
What taxes are charged to see a psychologist?
Simple answer: None. There is no GST or HST charge. You pay only the rate for service - no additional fees, charges, or taxes.
Are psychologists covered by insurance in Nova Scotia?
In Nova Scotia (and in Canada), the fees for psychologists & counsellors are not covered by general provincial insurance / health plan (i.e., the MSI card you use when you visit a physician).
However if you have private insurance, insurance from your workplace, your school, or private coverage, the fees for our psychologists and counsellors are usually covered.
Popular insurance plans offering coverage at Green Leaf Psychological include (but are not limited to):
For our child, adolescent, and adult assessments (e.g., ADHD, IQ, Dyslexia, Learning Disabilities) we may be able to offer direct billing to your insurance company.
Depending on what is allowed by your policy provider (e.g., Blue Cross, Green Shield, etc.), we may be able to offer direct billing for therapy and assessment.
If we are not able to direct bill, our psychologists and therapists are all registered with the major insurance providers and our clients report that reimbursement is very fast and straightforward. In fact, if you use your insurance provider's app, we will give you a digital receipt and reimbursement often happens the very same day!
Please check with your insurance provider about your specific coverage for psychological services.
Do I need a referral to see a psychologist in Nova Scotia?
No, you do not need a referral to see a private practice psychologist for therapy or assessment in Nova Scotia.
Can I claim fees for psychologists on my taxes?
Yes. Fees for therapy or assessment at our clinic can be claimed as a medical expense when you file your taxes. Save your receipts!